Sunday, August 15, 2010

About My Image Processing

There were few occasions when somebody would ask me about my venture in photography. I would happily tell them almost everything they needed to know, that is within my knowledge. But it has just been only two years since I started this passion, therefore I am nowhere near of being called a professional nor am I comfortable being called a photographer.

I am always enthusiastic whenever I shared my knowledge with someone new to photography. Not that I am any wiser but explaining the possibilities to explore in photography really excites me. Having explained about the technicalities of handling the camera, I would tell them about the essential of knowing to process the photo in image processing software, in this case, what I'm using is Adobe Photoshop.

Normally, I always got this one look - a look that is trying to tell me, I'm a faker in producing the images. There are different approaches when it comes to the concept of purity in taking a photo. To me, having it processed in Photoshop is a way to give the image a touch of individuality. It is a personal touch.

Anyone, with a couple of thousand ringgit can buy a camera with the same lense as what I am using. With it, being at the same place and same time and after adjusting the dials and buttons with the same settings as I am, we both are going to snap an almost identical images. How am I going to differentiate mine? It draws a question though, is the differentiation a necessary at the first place?

Under a certain circumstance, in my case, my images are of a personal touch to express what I've seen and recorded visually. I might see some potentials in these images that best represent it. It could be some color enhancements or creating a visual directive that makes the photo more interesting.

I read a book about post processing and there's a caption in it that quotes the author as saying that digital processing is similar to having the negatives processed in the darkroom for film camera except that Photoshop is really a powerful digital tool that is not only capable of producing basic image processing, it is also as if we are painting on a canvas - to better express one's visual expression.

I remember a teacher once told me, a block of wood already holds a certain shape in it waiting to be carved out. It is up to the carver to find it and make it appears.


No comments: