Monday, July 26, 2010

Tilawah Al-Quran Antarabangsa

2010-07-13-rekabentuk pentas tilawah al-quran 2010-09
2010-07-13-rekabentuk pentas tilawah al-quran 2010-07
2010-07-13-rekabentuk pentas tilawah al-quran 2010-04
2010-07-13-rekabentuk pentas tilawah al-quran 2010-03
Probably the last post of my work from JKR. Most likely (99%) I'll be leaving JKR by Aidilfitri and this was one of the works in JKR that required a little imagination from me that I think worth sharing.

It was for the tomorrow's International Qur'an Recital Competition (27th of July) and annually since the past few years, my office is given the responsibility in producing the design of the main stage for the event. There are 4 of us, architects, who were instructed to come out with a design each.

I never thought that I would get involved in this as I used to watch the event occasionally every year whenever I accidentally flipped over to the channel that broadcasts the event live on national television. I never bothered to look at the design, whether out of ignorance or that the design never really caught my attention.

I browsed through previous years' designs for a start. Definitely, they were majestic. I've seen lots of curves, domes, arches, minarets or replicas of it, flowers etc. in those designs that are usually associated with Islamic art or architecture. They have progressed to be the most intricate and as majestic as it could be and if I am to follow suit, my challenge would be to come out with super intricate Islamic ornament with gigantic dome - the biggest in Malaysia perhaps, for at least I can have it registered in the Malaysia Book of Records and earns myself a Datukship maybe?

Key point is, I am not good in producing such works. Or simply lazy. But I want it to be outstanding the least (not necessarily outstandingly beautiful). Hence the design idea.

A simple box that emits light from within through the use of perforated Islamic pattern where the reciter would sit and recites the Holy Qur'an. The surrounding will be in darkness as the light is focused on to the box. A box where Qur'an is recited, and the play of light to symbolize how Qur'an leads us out from darkness. Just as simple as that.

The other elements are merely just supporting elements that enhance the main concept such as the use of bed of flowers to make the box appears to float and a background that tries to interpret the theme set by the organizer.

If there is any interpretation beyond that, I'd call it bullshitting to desperately sell my idea to the selection juries. That's why mine was not selected :D

1 comment:

A m a l said...

nice. saya buat rujukan untuk event saya. tq